Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Jun 1993 08:41:09 CDT
On Wed, 23 Jun 1993 19:35:31 -0400 Chris Lewis said:
>On Jun 23, 13:11, Una Smith wrote:
>} as I know, the first gateway from Usenet to a mailing list, and the
>} first mailing list gated to a *.answers newsgroup.
>
>Don't panic.  I, at least, am not after you yet ;-)  But it
>is important that the LISTSERV authors hear about this stuff.
>
>This isn't the first USENET -> mailing list gateway by a long
>shot.  There are quite a few.  And periodically one runs amuck and
>does far nastier things than we've seen SCIFAQ-L do.

True.  There are, in fact, quite a few Usenet<->Listserv gateways
around.  I was recently (up until yesterday) trying to find one that
would work for my situation (Hunting on Listserv@tamvm1 is a mailing
list version or rec.hunting) where the groups are moderated.  All of
the unix gateways I tried failed because of the moderated tag.
Fortuanetly, I discovered (thanks to many people that read this and
other lists) that NETNEWS has a portion that does gatewaying (sp?).
[log in to unmask] is gracious enough to help people gateway lists
that are on nodes that don't have Netnews.   In addition to being a
good, reliable gateway; it certainly makes life amazingly simple for
moderator tasks....

Chris Barnes            |   President - Bryan/College Station
[log in to unmask] |         Retriever Club
(409) 846-3273 (home)   |   "Dedicated to the betterment of
(409) 845-8300 (work)   |               the retrieving breeds"