Eric Thomas <ERIC@SEARN>
Mon, 19 Feb 90 18:01:48 N
Just one comment:

>LISTEARN 1.0 Distribution Announcement
>
>(...)
>
>    An automatic distribution shall be  shipped to those sites that have
>    signed  and sent  back the  LISTEARN Registration  form AND  who are
>    using LISTSERV  1.5o. This  will prevent sites  who have  signed the
>    LISTEARN agreement  and then signed another  LISTSERV agreement with
>    Eric Thomas from getting a shipment. Such sites need to get in touch
>    with TURGUT@TREARN if they wish to order LISTEARN 1.0
>
>    However,  please note  that  this  is a  temporary  fix  and in  the
>    subsequent releases  (1.1, 1.2,  etc) all registered  LISTEARN sites
>    -regardless  of their  current  server- may  receive  a server  code
>    update.

This (the  last paragraph) is nothing  but a source of  confusion, not to
mention  the  waste  of  network  bandwidth. I  have  signed  a  LISTEARN
agreement because I  was FORCED to do  that by a DIRECTIVE  from the EARN
Executive. I do not have the SLIGHTEST desire to run LISTEARN at SEARN. I
am glad to hear that I will not receive an automatic shipment of LISTEARN
1.0, but  I completely  fail to understand  why I should  then be  sent a
LISTEARN 1.1 update  (which I would have to discard).  Besides which, the
installation of a  LISTEARN 1.1 update on top of  LISTSERV 1.6 could only
lead  to a  programming disaster;  I am  therefore strongly  advising the
postmasters of 1.6 servers which had originally received 1.5o from Turgut
(and had  signed the LISTEARN  agreement) to remove Turgut's  userid from
the LMC and LCOORD variables.

  Eric