Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:48:02 EDT
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:05:56 +0100 Name Unknown said:
>Hello All,
>I have recently moved over a listserv service from a sun machine to NT4. At
>the same time the software was updated to version 1.8d, running with LSMTP
>1.1b.  This problem is somewhat odd.
>When running the configuration tool for listserv on the new local listserv
>machine I have found that entries for License warning, SMTP reset every,
>trap in, trap out and web browser confirm are not present. All of these
>configuration options are present on our other listserv backbone machine.

Under "Advanced Configuration", click the "Unlisted..." button and scroll
down in the drop-down list box.  You'll find them.

>Also the machine appears to be using up rather more CPU memory (60Mb and up)
>and time than, I think should be considered normal. The machine is only
>hosting about 250 lists which between them generate few mailings. Oh yes the
>machine also has a web interface enabled.

Actually for a typical NT machine this sounds normal, but since you
aren't discriminating between which processes are using how much memory
it's hard to say what is really going on.  You can use the Task Manager
to determine which processes are using what memory and CPU time.  I
suspect you'll find that NT just uses a lot of memory...for instance my
NT Server 4.0 with LISTSERV and LSMTP running at idle is still using 70MB
RAM even as I write, and all I have open at the moment is a DOS box and a
3270 terminal program :) Stopping LISTSERV dropped that to 60MB and
stopping LSMTP dropped it to 56MB :)

Note that our general recommendation for sites running NT is to start
with around 128MB RAM and go from there.  The web interface can be a
memory hog and just the action of reindexing archives every time a
posting is received can spike memory usage, particularly if the
archive in question is very large.

Nathan