"Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Jul 1991 17:45:00 EST
  As part of a general cleanup here, I'm unsubscribing our local exploder
from some LISTSERV lists. All is going well, except for one list. This is
on a 1.7a server and is showing several oddities:

  First, even though we are still getting postings from the server, it claims
we are not subscribed to the list:

[Sample posting]
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1991 01:15:22 MDT
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: INFO-MODEMS Digest V91 #459
> Sender: INFO-MODEMS Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>
> To: 'Notes Poster Daemon' <[log in to unmask]>
>
> INFO-MODEMS Digest          Fri, 19 Jul 91       Volume 91 : Issue  459

["Not subscribed" message]
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1991 11:04:06 -0400
> From: Revised List Processor <[log in to unmask]> (1.7a)
> Subject: Your request to sign off the DIST-MDM list
> To: 'Notes Poster Daemon' <[log in to unmask]>
>
> No entry for your BBOARD@SPCVXA address could  be found in the DIST-MDM list a
> RPIECS. Here are  a number of possible  reasons why you might  still be gettin
> mail from the list:

  Note that the UNSUB I sent to LISTSERV@RPIECS that generated the above was
sent via interactive SEND, not by mail. Thus, the only way LISTSERV could have
discovered the personal name "Notes Poster Daemon" was to look me up in it's
subscriber database. Weird.

  Second, the "Not subscribed" message suggests that I REVIEW the list to see
if I'm subscribed under an alias. That's not likely, since I was the user who
did the subscribe in the first place, and I have the mailed confirmation mes-
sage on file, and it says "BBOARD@SPCVXA". However, I try to REVIEW anyway, and
get the "this is a secret, I'll only send you the header" message. Should the
part of the "Not subscribed" message that says:

> 2. You  might be  subscribed under  an equivalent yet  different address  - fo
> instance,  one with  explicit gatewaying,  or an  X.400 address  with differen
> ordering of  the various components, etc.  You could send a  REVIEW command an
> inspect the list membership  to find out whether this is the  case, and ask on
> of the list owners to remove that address from the list.

  be changed to not suggest a REVIEW if REVIEW=Owner?

[Original confirmation message from SUBSCRIBE]
> Date:         Sat, 5 Aug 89 23:52:49 EST
> From:         Revised List Processor (1.6a) <LISTSERV@RPIECS>
> To:           'Notes Poster Daemon' <BBOARD@SPCVXA>
>
> Dear networker,
>
>   Your  subscription  to list  DIST-MDM  (INFO-MODEMS  Mailing List)  has  bee
> accepted.
>
>   You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF DIST-MDM" command t
> [log in to unmask] Please  note that this  command must NOT  be sent to  the lis
> address (DIST-MDM@RPIECS) but to the LISTSERV address (LISTSERV@RPIECS).

        Terry Kennedy           Operations Manager, Academic Computing
        [log in to unmask]     St. Peter's College, US
        [log in to unmask]     (201) 915-9381