Alex Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 03:43:50 EST
On Wed, 14 Dec 1994 09:59:07 EST David Avery <[log in to unmask]> said:
>When a person attempts to subscribe to a list where the control is set to
>Subscription= By_Owner, they get a cc: of the meesage sent to the list owner
>that the owner can then forward back to listserv to actually sub the person.
>This cc: copy confuses new users since a casual reading of it causes them to
>send it back to listserv in an attempt to sub themselves.
>Is there a way to suppress the cc: copy, or cause a more appropriate message
>to go to the subscriber?

Yes.  As Dartmouth is running 1.8a, you can take advantage of the
fact that all your list owners can use a personalized MAILTPL.
The default message which you describe, the one that confuses users,
can be found in the default MAILTPL under >>> ADDREQ1.  That's the
part that you can customize.

On the By_Owner list I own I modified ADDREQ1 to read like it was
addressed to the subscriber, not to me.  Most don't look at the
headers to see that they've just been cc'ed.  I also customized
the text and removed the ADD command.

There may be another way to go about it, but that's the one that
works for me.

- Alex

<-Alex Rudd-><-KA2ZOO-><-New York NY USA-><[log in to unmask]>
<-212-875-6274-><-Opinions above are mine-><-Bitnet: AHRJJ@CUNYVM->
<-----Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance----->