"Juan M. Courcoul" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Feb 1992 09:55:07 CST
On Fri, 21 Feb 1992 15:29:19 EST Ratilal Haria said:
>On Fri, 21 Feb 1992 11:29:44 EST Jim Gerland - User Support Services said:
>>User Education is the best answer.  Just explain to those "BIG WHEELS" that
>>if what they have to say is important enough for others to read it then they
>>need to remove the header lines so their mail gets distributed to the list.
>
>Since there seems to be lots of system out there who may have similar
>problem, I am giving the solution that works.
>
>Mark Wilson ([log in to unmask]) suggested using LOOPCHECK=NONE
>setting on each list that you control. Since I have only a few lists
>I control it will do.

*flame on*

Yeah, sure, and screw the rest of the network.

As all the 'old timers' will undoubtedly agree, the loop checking code
in Listserv did much to avoid the looping mail problem which got really
nasty at times. Now, just because a piece of lousy PC software is broken
and incapable of producing network-friendly mail, we will now have to go
back to the Dark Ages !

I agree with Jim Gerland, in respect to user education. If you cannot get
the "Big Wheels" to show a responsable network deportment, I don't see how
you can demand that a 'lowly' undergrad do so.

Also, this isn't a personal attack, but a a severe criticism on network
attitudes that prescribe 'solutions' that just hide the problem under the
rug, instead of solving it. Perhaps Ratilal will be a very responsable
list owner and stop any loop that starts up (because it will, as soon as
you get any large number of users, especially those on the Internet and
particularly those from the .UK domain). However, soon the network lore
will be that, kitchen-recipe style, "you set up a list with this & that,
and don't forget the 'LOOPCHECK=NONE' parm", without really knowing why.
Then, maybe Eric will have to make LOOPCHECK=YES,FULL a nonalterable
parm.

*flame off*

Juan Courcoul
Listserv Postmaster