Peter Sylvester +49 228 303245 <GRZ027@DBNGMD21>
Fri, 01 May 87 19:10 CET
After a while of listening I would like to put my two cents
into this discussion: It seems that nobody learns from history.

There is no difference between the routing problem of RSCS, MAILER
and LISTSERV. Therefore a common solution is applicable, i.e
a directory service (or name server). Current restrictions of the
network do not allow "immediate" directory service queries BUT:
directories may be cached or shadowed to other places using
"the mail service". The EARN node update procedure is an example.
The current BITEARN NODES data base is already a joined relational
view of the nodes data base and a mailer data base. A similar
distribution procedure can be used for the PEERS NAMES data set.
in addition the "EARN update" procedure for BITEARN NODES can
be used to update the directory from remote sites.

The EARN update and delta distribution procedures of the BITEARN NODES
directory are not perfect but they are usable for any directory.

Peter