Fermilab Mailing List Manager <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 May 2000 10:33:15 -0500
We have moved our mailing lists from PMDF's Mailserv product to L-Soft's
LISTSERV.  One problem we have run into involves lists subscribed to other
lists.

In PMDF, we could have nested lists so that, for example, a Division mailing
list would comprise Departmental mailings, which in turn comprised Group
mailing lists.  This was convenient because Group leaders could manage their
Group lists and have any subscriber changes automatically reflected in the
higher level Departmental and Division lists.

Under LISTSERV, however, nesting lists like this doesn't work beyond the
second level.  That is, mail sent to Division is sent to anyone directly
subscribed to Division and to Department, but not to people subscribed to
the lower level Group lists.

L-Soft recommends using the "Sub-Lists" keyword for nested lists like this,
but that solution doesn't work for us because when it is used, the person
who sends to the Super-List does not get a copy of his or her own posting.
(The best we can do is to use "Ack= Yes" so the sender gets an
acknowledgement message that the posting has been sent to the list.)  Our
users vociferously complained about not getting copies of their own
postings.

Has anyone else run into this and found a work around to allow nested lists
in which the sender gets a copy of his or her own postings?

--
Kevin Williams
Fermilab Postmasters group