Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 00:02:46 -0400
>I need assistance...
>
>LISTSERV 1.8d is generating the constant following error message for
>each one of my lists. This continuous message is displayed on the
>mail server console (fstr.wou.edu).
>
>Socket closed unexpectedly... From: [log in to unmask]
>version=1...
>
>Stopping LISTSERV ends the message. Stopping LSMTP does not. My
>network admin informs me this has been ongoing for over a week.
>
>Any ideas?  Thanks

What platform do you have LISTSERV installed on?  If it's Windows NT,
what are the SMTP_FORWARD and SMTP_FORWARD_n settings (and
specifically do any of them point at fstr.wou.edu)?

My hypothesis is that LISTSERV is set up to use fstr.wou.edu for at
least some of its outgoing mail.  (If you have an LSMTP installation
I would generally expect you to only be using LSMTP to handle your
outgoing mail.)  In this case I'd look in the SMTPS# log files, which
should be in the same directory as LISTSERV's main log files; these
will hold any errors generated by the SMTP workers as they try to
hand mail off to the mail server or servers.  If there aren't any
SMTPS# files you probably don't have any SMTP workers defined and
should just look in the LISTSERV log file proper.

This is all somewhat speculative since I don't know what your exact
setup is, but I hope it's enough to get you started.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc