Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Mon, 25 Sep 89 18:40:14 GMT
The purpose of  this note is to  confirm that I have  received enough positive
answers to the  "Release 1.6 for EARN" survey to  accept to distribute release
1.6 to selected EARN  sites, and to describe the procedure  to obtain it. This
note is  relevant to  EARN sites  only - BITNET  and NetNorth  maintainers are
getting a copy for their information only.

The instructions  for requesting a  copy of release  1.6 are described  in the
EARNV16  LETTER file  available from  [log in to unmask] Basically,  sites which
have 1.5o  now and have  not canceled their  license agreement by  signing the
LISTEARN contact  have to mail me  a letter, other  sites will need to  sign a
paper copy of  "my" LISTSERV license agreement to re-establish  it, and send a
slightly different letter. As  soon as I get the letter,  the site will resume
getting PEERS NAMES  and LINKSWT FILE; when release 1.6c  becomes available, a
special "1.5o to 1.6c"  update shipment will be sent to the  site, and it will
then resume getting updates as non-EARN sites do.

As I have already  said, this is a no-warranty, no  support service, and there
may be sites to  which I would not accept to provide it.  However, this is not
the case of  any of the sites which  answered YES to the survey -  if you did,
there is no need to check with me before sending the letter.

I hope to have release 1.6c ready for beta-testing sometime this week. All the
programming work is  finished, it is just  a matter of finding time  to do the
"packaging"  and  to  find beta-test  sites  (send  me  mail  if you  want  to
participate).

  Eric