"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 10:05:50 EDT
Having two public LISTSERV lists with the same name but different hosts
IS a problem for folks who don't know the host address and use either
GLX or local LISTSERVs to determine the target host: they can no longer
do so since there are "dups." E.g. If I interrogate (Q PROFRUM) my local
LISTSERV for list PRFORUM, it gives me msgs:

 * There are several lists by the  name of PRFORUM on the LISTSERV network.
 * Please select one from the following list and resend your request to the
 * appropriate server.
 *
 * PRFORUM@INDYCMS      PR and Corp Comm / Academics and Professionals
 * PRFORUM@IDBSU        PRFORUM  - PUBLIC RADIO DISCUSSION GROUP

If only one had been PUBLIC, then my LISTSERV would have routed my
request to that host.

This has happened to other lists, one of which I own.  Fortunately,
I spotted it in time, and a note to the new list owner was sufficient
for him to rename his essentially local list.

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "Spam-lite, is it Kosher?"   s/me      +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA