Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:12:16 +0200
>I turned to  Eric Thomas (Listserv "father") for
>help. Eric, knowing exactly what should be done about it, turned my request
>for help down "since your management decided that you did not need any
>support" (meaning that we don't pay for Listserv support), and sent me
>to look for the solution myself ("You can find about 100 postings with
>a solution through searches to relevant lists" were his exact words).

I am sorry if you got the impression that I spend my days sitting in a cosy
armchair smoking cigars while reading the newspaper. As a matter of fact,
I have a heck of a lot to do right now, and on top of that I have to move. I
still haven't finished the work plan for the 5 people who showed up on
Tuesday and asked for their first assignment, and they have a higher
priority on my to-do list than people who decided not to purchase a
maintenance contract and thus expect to receive the service at no charge
because otherwise they would be inconvenienced - and will keep informing
more and more people of my unwillingness to help, in the hope that
eventually I will give in.

I gave you the "usual telegraphic answer" because it was much faster
for me than to assist you for free, whereas you could have found the
answer to your questions in half the time it took you to write this
message, not to mention your other long private message. Moshe, I
don't like to give people a fish, I like to teach them how to fish so they
don't come back every day asking for more fish. People who have no
money and think that fish should be free so that they don't have to learn
how to catch fish may have a place in this world, but not at my table.

  Eric