Greg Dietrich <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Apr 2015 20:31:59 -0400
Is anyone aware of a utility, custom template or work-around (L-Soft supplied or not) that would make the system log* viewable to an administrator with no access to LS system files?   Details follow.

* aka "console log" and "LISTSERV log"    (Not referring to system change log)

  Location & filename on Windows servers:  LISTSERV\LOG\LISTSERV-yyyymmdd.LOG

[Configuration / Reason needed]

LISTSERV 16.0b  Standalone mode.  Windows Server 2012.

Migration to new server (Win. Server 2012) - remote "cloud" server, no physical access.
Remote Desktop and file copy utilities are no longer available for viewing / copying files.

[Background]

Using Remote Desktop to access files in the Listserv directory on our current platform (Windows Server 2003), the LISTSERV Administrator (site maintainer, postmaster) can troubleshoot response-time complaints and other issues, to help determine cause or rule out initial assessments.

Checking the LISTSERV system (or console) log has been an essential part of the diagnosis and has often provided key information that enables a speedy resolution of the problem. Its utility, when used in conjunction with the server and list activity reports (change log data accessible via the web archive interface) can't be overstated. We're able to resolve most issues in a few minutes.

[Problem]

After upgrading to a new platform/OS (Microsoft Windows Server 2012) later this week site maintainers will no longer be able to use the Remote Desktop utility and with its loss, have no access to LS system files, services, etc.  FTP will also not be available.

Though a request for the file can be submitted to our system admin group, the turn-around time for these requests is problematic and not guaranteed: it could result in a delay of hours or days before the log file data is made available to the ListServ admin., and customer issues could remain unresolved for long periods.

[Possible Solutions / Questions]

We need an alternative method to view the console log:

1. Its contents (all entries in the current log up until the time of capture) made available in one minute or less.

2. Output navigable and viewable with standard tools.   Any of the following outputs would work:

    a. HTML web page served for viewing within web browser
    b. HTML page called by WA within LISTSERV
    c. File copy of the log (text format  .txt)
    d. File copy of the log (excel format .xlxs)
    e. File copy of the log (csv format .csv)

It makes the most sense to us if the console log was integrated and viewable within LISTSERV but other suggested solutions are welcome. The contents of system and list-level change logs is already accessible to the administrator via menu selections in the web archive (WA) interface.

In the past, we've constructed customized web templates (using SHOWTPL_ALLOWED) to create auxiliary web pages that use HTML and LISTSERV script to perform mundane tasks such as subscribing/unsubscribing.

Q.  Can such a method be used to bring the console log to the console?

Q.  It's possible to write to the console log (.tty)  --- is there another command to read from it?

Other suggestions?

Thank you.

Greg Dietrich

SCO ListServ Administrator