Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Sep 90 22:33:17 O
>It also admits  another folly: the so-called "military"  time zones were
>all backwards from actual military usage! RFC1123 officially removes the
>blessing from those one-letter time zone codes.

That's great!  I just happen to  be using military time-zones  for SEARN,
because you see RFC822 decided that,  since people outside the US haven't
yet gone  through the industrial  revolution and  don't even know  how to
spell the word  "computer", there was no need to  bless real 3-digit time
zones for  the corresponding countries.  So we got  what the US  Army had
allocated,  in an  attempt to  map areas  of the  world which  they might
consider invading  in the future;  alternatively we can code  things like
'+0100', but  that's more than  3 characters and  of course '+01'  is not
allowed, everybody  knows that the GMT  offset is never a  multiple of 60
minutes. I guess the  only "legal" solution for me now is  to load my TOD
clock with US time and use EDT :-)

  Eric