Tue, 2 Jan 1996 16:44:01 -0500
Hello listserve administrator:

I currently host a group of 28 members on the subject of Landau-Kleffner
Syndrome (LKS) and related speech and language disabilities of young
children.  LKS is a rare seizure disorder which leads to deterioration of
language and may be accompanied by autistic behaviors.  Treatment
(anti-convulsants and/or steroids) is possible with some recovery expected if
carried out in a timely fashion.  Diagnosis is especially difficult in
children who lose language before the age of 3.  LKS can be confused with
autism, and the differential diagnosis remains difficult.  Our group's
purpose is twofold; 1. to provide support to families, and 2. to educate
families and their service providers (doctors and therapists).

While some of our parents participate in other forums (i.e. autism), this
group specifically addresses LKS and LKS-variants, including developmental
(or acquired) aphasia of unknown origin.  The variant is sometimes referred
to as ChILD, Childhood Ideopathic Disorder.

At the present membership level (28 with 1 - 2 new members added weekly),
there are an average of 4-5 posts per day.  We are interested in maintaining
control of our membership, so will only consider the closed list format.
 Please contact me for additional information.  As group manager, I am
anxious to join a list in order to reduce my "housekeeping" load.  Please
redirect me as needed!  Thank you, Nancy LeGendre