Network Manager <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 May 1993 16:17:19 LCL
On Thu, 6 May 1993 14:15:42 MST Dan Lester said:
>However, I understand that part of the problem was bounces from his
>overflowing mailbox.  Why wouldn't the bounces of the messages
>requesting confirmation produce much the same problem to us?  Also,
>if he was clever enough to hack a routine together to do a universal
>subscription request, he'd probably do the same with the confirmations.
>
>dan

Subscription= Open,Confirm would have limited the flood to two messages
per list instead of one message per posting per list.  The two messages
would have been the bounced confirmation message and then Confirm-Delay
hours later the bounced "Your cookie has expired."

If Mr. Nuttal had managed to get on the NOVELL list we would have
buried under 75 - 100 bounces per day, but NOVELL has ,Confirm and
Mr. Nuttal's little escapade had little effect here.  He only managed
to get subscribed to a few low activity lists.

Glenn A. Malling (NETMAN@SUVM) or [log in to unmask]
Syracuse University Computing Services   +1 (315) 443-4111
Machinery Hall  Syracuse, New York 13244-1260