Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Oct 1991 13:50:01 CDT
On Thu, 10 Oct 1991 10:41:43 EDT you said:
>Here are some more questions about setting up lists:
>4. What program uses the X-tags?  My list owners wonder what the advantages
>   are to keeping them or putting them in a comment header.

   One word of caution!  We started using  X-tags= Comment  when we found
mail was NOT being delivered to some users when we had it set to yes.
(Actually, the mail would fail if there were other recipients in the mail
to the list).

   In our case we had a nearby UCLAMAIL site and UCLAMAIL was using
the X-Tags for their own purposes.  That may have been fixed by now
but the Comment: records may be less ambiguous and less subject to
misuse (but the are longer).

>6. The FILES= command.  If I set FILES= No to prevent something like the
>   CHRISTMA EXEC from being distributed to the list, does that also prevent
>   the BITNET sites without mailers from sending to the list?

   After one of those "promiscuous/prolific" execs hit a list here we changed
most of our lists to  Files= No.  I would strongly recommend it.  I don't
think sites without mailers are affected as long as they send the mail
so that LISTSERV can recognize it.  About the only rejects I've noticed
have really been FILES that someone tried to send to the list (ie. obviously
not mail).  I'd not only set up new lists with Files= No but strongly
recommend you review any large files you have which are not meant for
file distribution among BITNET nodes.