Jeffrey R Kell <JEFF@UTCVM>
Mon, 09 Feb 87 16:32:50 EST
Here's a little war story you might be interested in, I still haven't
figured out exactly what happened, or even sure its really gone...

Saturday my LISTSERV abended with a DMSFRET error from high storage just
after a 'subscribe' command was received.  I rebooted, did an ADD for
the user in question, sent Eric the log, and pass it off as a fluke.

Today, it had abended again, DMSFRET error in high storage, with a mail
file in its reader with a SUBSCRIBE command in it.  Reboot, re-abend.
Re-ipl, reboot, re-abend.  <sigh>

Next, I do a FILELIST and find all of the 1.5g shipment DUPLICATED!
Same filename/filetype/filemode/timestamps.  While waiting on the ops
to locate the backup tapes, I decided to try and ERASE one, and it did
work... leaving one copy.  I repeated this on each duplicate, rebooted,
and it worked.

Now we have STATX80 (a disk verifier for 3380's) and it said the disk
was intact (but it could be and probably is an SP/4 version, anyone have
one for SP/4?).  CARD MODULE was suspect (an SP/3 version maybe) but I
thought I had been using the one from the LISTSERV shipment, although I
might have well-intentioned erased it since its on our system disk (and
ours was the SP/3 version, I later discovered).

At any rate, for insurance, I copied everything to a temp disk, reformatted
LISTSERV's 191, and copied back.  It seems okay.  The moral of the story?

* If this happens to you, you might try the unobvious ERASE in good faith.
* Check your CARD MODULE even if you think you have the right one.
* Don't trust STATX80
* Find a trustworthy STATX for SP/4 (still looking).

<Jeff>
*  "Waiter, there's a fly in my soup."
*  "No sir, that's an essential bee vitamin."