Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 30 May 2001 15:33:18 +1000

> > I really hate to disagree with Valdis but for Windows, this
> is not necessary.
> > Under Windows, LISTSERV provides its own SMTP Listener
> program to receive mail
> > and another simple SMTP program to send mail to a local
> outbound MTA (which can
> > continue to be qmail or anything else that you like to
> use).  You do not need to
> > run a mailer on the LISTSERV box.  In fact it is very
> difficult to do so, unless
>
> Umm.. Ben?  If it's receiving mail, and sending mail, it's a mailer.
>
> He *will* have to run a mailer.  You don't believe me, see how well
> Listserv runs *without* the LSoft-provided SMTP Listener program. ;)

Ben - sorry if I confused the issue in the first place.  Vladis was
responding to my question about moving from NT to Linux and did I need to
have a mailer on the same machine.  I ought to know better than to post a
secondary question without first changing the Subject line. :-)

Vladis - thanks for answer you sent previously.  I see now that if we do
move from NT to Linux we'll have to make sure there is some sort of SMTP
capability on the same machine.  Not my first choice but I may not have much
say in the matter.

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.