Harold C Pritchett <HAROLD@UGA>
Mon, 20 Jul 87 10:05:55 EDT
I am sending this reply to  the list since there are probably subscribers
who maintain LISTSERVs who are not aware of some of the things I am going
to say. For  those of you who  are, Just press the "DISCARD"  key on this
one.

/hcp

>Harold,
>
>What files do I need to keep  current for LISTSERV? (I know BITEARN NODES
>is one of them)

There are three files which you, as a LISTSERV postmaster are required to
keep current. These files are:

     BITEARN NODES
     DOMAIN NAMES
     XMAILER NAMES

All three  files are available  from any  NETSERV, and the  BITEARN NODES
file can be obtained from any LISTSERV (which has the current version) by
the official site contact person for your Site.

>How often do you update these files?

I update the files any time there  is a new version available. There is a
LISTSERV distribution  list, NODUPD-D, which will  distribute the revised
versions of these files, and several other files (used for the maintenance
of  MAILER)  automatically  whenever  a new  version  becomes  available.
will be sent to the best server for your location.

>By the way  if you have a  BITEARN NODES more current  than 04/87, could
>you send it to me? It'd be a lot quicker than getting it from BITNIC.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Darren

You should not have to request a new BITEARN NODES file every month. Each
month, a  set of updates  to the existing BITEARN  NODES file is  sent by
NETSERV to  all subscribers. These  updates are also distributed  via the
NODUPD-D list. You  use the UPDNODES program (available  from NETSERV) to
apply the updates to  your current BITEARN NODES to create  a new one. If
you are  currently at 04/87, then  you need to order  the following files
from NETSERV:

     VERS8705 NODUPD
     VERS8706 NODUPD
     VERS8707 NODUPD

You will also need to order:

     UPDNODES EXEC
     UPDNODES MODULE

since  this  is the  program  which  does  the  update. Comments  at  the
beginning of the EXEC will show what  to do, but the procedure is simple.
Just make  sure you  have enough free  disk space for  two copies  of the
BITEARN NODES file and  that the * NODUPD files are  on the same minidisk
with BITEARN NODES.  Then issue the command:

     UPDNODES VERSnnnn (REPLACE

and wait.  Do it for  each file, in order.  If you have  modified BITEARN
NODES with a text editor, or fail  to apply updates in order, the process
will fail  with a  checksum error and you  may have to start over.  There
are multiple checksums kept by  the program, and extensive error checking
is done to  insure a correct file  when you finish. If  you have modified
BITEARN NODES with a text editor,  you probably  will have  to get  a new
copy before can apply the updates.

Finally, a little bit  about how I keep my files. All  three of the above
files are kept  on disks which belong  to my userid. The  two NAMES files
are kept on a minidisk which is shared with MAILER and LISTSERV. I have a
write link, and  both MAILER and LISTSERV have read  links. Anytime I get
new versions of XMAILER  NAMES, or DOMAIN NAMES I save  them to this disk
(My 193), access  it as my A disk  and run MG. I then  send the following
two commands to MAILER:

     SMSG MAILER CMS ACCESS 192 D
     SMSG MAILER RELOAD

and I send the following command to LISTSERV:

     TELL LISTSERV STOP REBOOT

The BITEARN NODES  file is kept on  another of my minidisks,  and after I
update it, I just issue the STOP REBOOT command to LISTSERV. LISTSERV has
LINK cards  for read links  to both of  these minidisks in  his directory
entry, and the following is an extract from his PROFILE EXEC:

     ACC 193 B/A  * NAMES
     ACC 194 C/A  BITEARN NODES
     ACC 200 E
     ACC 201 F
     ACC 202 G

The 200 series minidisks are for NOTEBOOK storage...

Hope this helps.  If anyone has additional questions, or comments, send
them to me.   I am trying to put together a  LISTSERV MAINTENANCE guide
to outline the sort of things that the local POSTMASTER has to do.

Harold Pritchett
LISTSERV COORDINATOR
The University of Georiga
Athens, GA 30602