"Eric Thomas (Pasteur)" <ERIC@PASTEUR>
Tue, 26 Jul 88 14:25:20 SET
Now that (almost) everybody has installed FIX15N2, I would like to recommend
a (careful) migration to the use of DIST2. As the DDAGSI1-CEARN and DDAGSI1-
GWUVM lines disappear, we will see a significant increase in the amount of
"No recipient for this server, probable inconsistency in the routing tables"
nastygrams. DIST2 does not require tables to be synched - if they are not, the
path may be slightly less optimal but no error will occur. With DIST1, you get
the nastygram and then the server processes all recipients itself, which is
far from being optimal. DIST2 is also about 10 times faster in terms of CPU
(give it a few runs to build up a decent cache before making your
measurements), and has a better algorithm leading to a better distribution
path.

To switch a list from DIST1 to DIST2, all you have to do is change the header
to "Mail-via= DIST2".

  Eric