Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 19:22:23 CST
On Sat, 18 Feb 1995 06:39:08 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>This  isn't about  RFCs,  it is  about preventing  mailing  loops. It  is
>perfectly legitimate to  include header lines in the body  of your reply.
>The problem is that there are thousands of mail systems that don't follow
>the RFCs and  don't send delivery errors to the  right address. They send
>them back to the  list. Your options are to call each  of these sites and
>talk them  into fixing their mail  programs, or use a  loop detector that
>identifies the  delivery errors. Unfortunately  it can't tell  a delivery
>error  from the  replies your  usenet reader  is generating.  If you  add
>"Loopcheck= NoBody" to the list header, he and the broken mailers will be
>allowed to post.

Actually, that's where this question orginated (but I bet you guessed
that).  I've been talking to one of the maintainers of ANU-NEWS (a VMS
Usenet program), and have been unable to convince him to have his
program simply add the correct E-mail header lines to the Usenet headers
when a post is delivered to a moderated group.  I had no such trouble
with the author of trn, btw (who gave me the instructions to pass on
to trn admin. to fix their software).

It's my gut feeling that more and more Listserv lists will be mirrored
by Usenet groups.  This problem (of bad looking posts and error messages)
will only get worse.

Changing the "Loopcheck= NoBody" will help some, but that means I still
have to edit the post by hand and clean it up before I send it out.  The
REAL solution remains getting these newsprogram writers to do it right.
Anyone have a good argument or suggestion for how to convince them
to fix it?

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)

If you want to make life easier for novice computer users, do NOT give
them a restricted menu.  A restricted menu is simply the lazy way to
avoid teaching them what they really need to know in the first place.