Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:11:17 -0600
I'm sure most of you know, or have heard by now, about Hurricane Isabel
which is rapidly approaching the East Coast of the USA.  Storm warnings are
out.  States of emergency have been declared.  Supplies have been
stockpiled, etc.

As I sit here in sunny (today anyway) Colorado it all seems a bit surreal,
but having lived through both a hurricane in the Caribbean and a typhoon (as
they are called in the Pacific) I can tell you this is absolutely not any
fun at all.  I expect that some of our list members and their sites may be
more affected than others by this event.  I pray that there will be no loss
of life, that property damage will be minimized, and that recovery to
normalcy will be rapid.

At L-Soft's data center outside Washington DC we are making preparations.
Our generator is fully fueled and all backup systems are checked out.
However, we are dependent on our network connections remaining up and
working properly and that is the work of many partners we do not control.
Some disruption of internet service is certainly possible.

Since L-Soft is at the topological center of the worldwide LISTSERV
backbone, Site Administrators of other LISTSERV backbone sites should be
alert to possible mail delivery delays if we drop off the network for a
time.  The LSTSRV-L list is peered both at UGA.EDU and at SEARN in Sweden,
both of which are outside the affected area, so list communications should
continue relatively smoothly.  I also maintain local backups and I will keep
list members posted on events if circumstances require.