Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 12:42:27 -0400
On Thu, 1 Jun 1995, C Reichetzeder wrote:

> In a recent discussion with The Anonymous Administrator I said:
> > I could block all such requests [ie from an<NUMBER>@anon.penet.fi]
> And the administrator replied:
> >Yes, it would be good if access to listservers from anon.penet.fi
> >users would be blocked.
>
> This came up in  some discussion and I didn't give it  much thought, I must
> admit. Now one person managed to subscribe with such an address at my site.
> Given that the number was in the 30ks I think anon.penet.fi does a good job
> blocking attempts to subscribe to LISTSERV lists but they can do nothing if
> someone fakes an address. So we better really block these addresses.

  According to the Anon Administrator, all mail to Anon subscribers from
'LISTSERV' are automatically sent to the postmaster.  So, even if they
fake an address to subscribe, they will never get any mail from LISTSERV
lists anyway.  However, they can post anonymously.

 Has anyone running LISTSERV 1.8b set the filter_also config variable?
If so, can you drop me a note and let me know where it is set?  I can't
seem to find that info in the docs.

Much appreciated....

--Trish

--Trish