Jim Gerland <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 13:16:13 -0500
On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Dick Duggan wrote:
> When I tried to do a review on this list, the owner information came
> out like this:
>
> *  Owner=  ERIC@SEARN       (Eric Thomas)
> *  Owner=  Quiet:
> *  Owner=  HAROLD@UGA       (Harold C. Pritchett)
>
> I've seen this sort of syntax for an email address before but it's
> not a real email address, only part of one.

Gee, Harold would certainly take offense at that. ;-)

> How does that work?  If
> I wanted to send email to Eric or Harold, how would I know their
> address from the above?

LISTSERV began as a BITNET-only application and because of this treats
any Non-FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) as a BITNET address and
sends that mail off to its nearest Internet-to-BITNET gateway for
delivery.
Jim...
Jim Gerland  - Manager, Network Information Services    University at Buffalo
Academic Services, Computing & Information Technology   Buffalo, NY 14260
716.645.3557 Work                                       716.645.3734 FAX
[log in to unmask]            URL: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~gerland