Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Mar 1992 18:15:43 +0100
On Thu, 12  Mar 1992 11:59:01 EST  Alton Brantley <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>I  am,  and have  been  for  over two  years,  using  listserv over  the
>internet.  In  particular,  I  have  a Macintosh  running  an  X  Server
>connected to  a Sun  4/280 running  SUN-OS which  is connected  over the
>Internet. I  have no  difficulty being on  numerous lists  and receiving
>messages. I  also am  a list  owner for  several (internal  and external
>lists) that I work with in the above arrangement.
>
> What is the part that doesn't run smoothly?

You get "Segmentation fault" if you FTP a copy of LISTSERV, do 'chmod 777
lsvprof' and try to run 'lsvprof' :-)

On a more serious  note, the Internet people are not  happy with a number
of things. They'd like me to change  the code to make IETFHDR the one and
only existing  option. They want the  full original message with  its own
headers (not the  ones LISTSERV generates) in the archives,  even if that
means  you  need   twice  the  space  and  database   searches  are  made
impractical. You  won't be  surprised to  hear that  they don't  like the
syntax  of  the  file  server functions,  especially  the  filenames  and
filelists.  They  want  support  for XXENCODE  (or  whatever  the  latest
encoding fashion is called) and splitting mail messages so that you don't
hit gateway limits; you should be  able to re-order arbitrary segments in
case they get lost on the way. They may not have realized that one simply
can't xyzENCODE a VM  (or VMS, MVS, etc) file, send  it through a gateway
and get the same  thing on the way back, because  files aren't streams of
bytes on normal  operating systems, but they  aren't precisely interested
in retrieving  VM files, and  it works fine for  their unix tar  files. I
must say I  am amazed at the  amount of energy the  Internet community is
spending   finding   clumsy  ways   to   avoid   having  to   develop   a
sender-initiated, binary file transfer  protocol that doesn't require you
logon password. People are apparently happy to get software in bunches of
50 mail files  which have to be counted, reassembled,  de-encoded, and so
on. The worst is that they  think of this technique as something superior
to our stone-age protocols, something we should strive for. Ah well.

  Eric