"Geert K. Marien" <GKMCU@CUNYVM>
Fri, 22 Sep 89 08:49:55 EDT
New  ideas are  welcome.  For some  time  now, I  have  been sending  LISTSERV
distribute jobs  of digests  for a  list. Originally, it  all went  via BITNIC
and  all was  good, if  you consider  that the  queues were  not so  bad. Then
came the big crunch  that caused BITNIC to get out of  the business of sending
my jobs all  around. I would have loved  to have QUEENS do my  DISTing for me,
but the LINKSWT  FILE doesn't agree with  that. If I were able  to use QUEENS,
that  would be  heaven. And,  to boot,  CUNYVM SMTP  never gives  me problems!
But, I digress ...

In my  area are CUNYVM (not  on backbone), BITNIC (which  will send everything
to PUCC), ORION (the same), and QUEENS  (which used to send it to BITNIC which
sent  it to  PUCC -  arghh!). Life  is rough.  Now, PUCC  is not  bad, but  it
does NOT send out messages from SMTP  when it sends mail along - double arggh!

So,  I  thought  to  myself,  lets  try PSUVM.  Great!  Its  INTERBIT  is  via
CORNELLC, so,  if I could  stand the occasional  small delay, no  problem! And
CORNELLC  sends out  messages from  its  SMTP! Udderly  cool (with  appologies
to  Cornell Ag  students for  the  PUN :-)  )!  But, alas,  CORNELLC seems  to
not know about  many hosts and not  connect for (the infamous) 3  days to more
than  5. So  much for  that! I  lived with  it a  while and  remained faithful
beyond reproach  ... until  ... PSUVM SMTP  kicked in! Gasp  !!!! Back  to the
old non-delivery problems!  Is there any relief from this?

So now, I  am out of places to send  dist jobs to. Yes, I tried  Yale as well,
and just about everything  else, but no one wants to send it  to the one place
that I know doesn't give me headaches - CUNYVM!  Ironic.

What I would like to know is ... is  there a way to make a DIST2 job, short of
changing a persons address, to go via  a certain LISTSERV and/or via a certain
INTERBIT (I  know the certain  Interbit part  would be undesirable  and defeat
the purpose of INTERBIT)?  It would certainly make life easier.

Something like Explode-Here as a keyword :-).

/Geert