John Ryder <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:14:56 -0500
Hello:

We've getting lots of spam being sent to the list name's email address.
For example: for a list named comp_staff mail we are seeing mail from:
[log in to unmask], which depending on the list's Send config keyword
will be accepted.

Is there a global way to prevent postings from the name of the list?

I'm thinking of some filtering in the site config file:

to prevent any mail from the list machine:
  FILTER_ALSO= "*@list.uvm.edu"

but to allow mail from certain users on the list machine:
  FILTER_ALLOW= "[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]"

Is this safe to do?  Does Listserv send itself mail?  Will the Web
interface still work with addresses coming in like
From [ANONYMOUS]@LIST.UVM.EDU: QUERY ***GUI*** ***DEFSUB*** COMP_STAFF

Thanks for any help you can give. We're runing LISTSERV 1.8e on Linux Red
Hat.

John Ryder, Systems Programmer, Computing and Information Technology,
            University of Vermont, [log in to unmask] 802-656-1183