"Stringfield, Robert Mr." <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:03:59 +0200
Thanks Jacob.  This will be very helpful...
--bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Haller [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 4:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LSTSRV-L] Migrating Lists from one Site to Another -
USAREUR

At 4:15 PM +0200 4/27/00, Stringfield, Robert Mr wrote:
>ALL:
>
>I am in the process of moving several high profile/volume DOD lists from
one
>ListServ site to anotherListServ site.  Lists will be going from NT (1.8d)
>to NT (1.8d).
>
>Is there a checklist available for this endeavour.  Some steps I know
of....

>*      Constructing Dirs on the target machine and ftping files directly.
>*      changing welcome and farewell templates
>*      updating headers to reflect current location of archives
>*      etc.

The process is outlined in section 7.15.1 of the Site Manager's Manual.

>What I did not see was how to update the web-based interface which is a
>must.

The list management interface will be automatically updated to
reflect any new mailing lists.  For the archives you will want to
create the subdirectories of the web archives directories for each
mailing list before moving the mailing lists over.  (Does that make
sense?)  If you do this then LISTSERV will automatically generate the
necessary html files when the mailing lists are moved over.

>That and any additional information anyone might provide would be
>extremely helpful because the more I think of this something seems to be
>lacking.
>
>What about the users currently looking for the old system.  How are they
>rerouted?  Will this be transparent to the all subscribers.  What should
>they expect and what should I tell them to expect?

Have you read section 14.4 of the Site Manager's Manual?  If you use
the New-List= keyword essentially what happens is their
message/request is forwarded to the new location and they are sent a
note saying that this has happened.

>Any thoughts or advice would be truly appreciated for I would like this to
>be accomplished as seamlessly as possible....

Does this answer your questions, or do you still have concerns?

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc