"J. Philip Miller" <C90562JM@WUVMD>
Wed, 27 Jan 88 13:28:43 CST
>Well all - we can argue until we turn blue in the face over how to detect
>loops, flag rejection mail, and all that stuff.  We can argue rfc822 vs.
>X.400.  We can invent new tags till we have a 5-1 tag to mail-body ratio..
>
>However, NOTHING is gonna get done until we FIX mailers like the one that
>produced the following.  Note that I have NOT removed any headers - this
>is the way it showed up.  It arrived no filename/filetype, addressed
>to a bad userid.  It ended up in my reader because I'm the postmaster.

I thought that Harry's excellent comments and my suggested added headers
were addressed to the problem of mailers having wars and sending mail
repeatedly all over the net.  I do not see anything in your note about
this generating a problem.  As long as we talk about an RSCS type
network with distributed authority, there is no way to keep mail in all
sorts of strange formats from showing up (hopefully) in the postmaster's
mailbox.  What I hope we can do is to keep files like that from being
bounced back to a program which bounces it back (multiplied a hundred fold)
which bounces it back (a hundred fold)...............
   -phil