Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 17:04:42 EST
On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:03:14 -0800 Ballew Kinnaman said:
>Dear Nathan and LSTSRV-L Folks,
>
>>What will actually happen is that the current
>>behaviour of Language= NoMIME, which allows
>>an HTML-only message through if there is no
>>plain text part, will be altered so that messages
>>that contain HTML only will be rejected.
>
>Okay, so, NoMIME will be changed to mean
>NoHTMLOnly? <scratches elbow>

No.....sorry.  I meant "Language= NoHTML", my bad.  There is no
such option for the Language= keyword.  I have no idea why I typed
that :)

>What will happen to messages that have both
>plain text and HTML, under the new meaning
>of NoMIME?

Well, as noted, there is no such Language= option.  If we are talking
about the 1.8e effect of Language= NoHTML on such a message, then it will
be identical to the effect in 1.8d, that is, the HTML part will be
stripped and the plain text part will go through.  The only change is
that instead of allowing an HTML-only message to go through, 1.8e will
reject the message if Language= NoHTML.

>And, I've always been curious - even if a list is
>NoMIME and NoHTML, members can still opt
>to *receive* in MIME and HTML formats, right?
><grin>

Language= HTML/NoHTML has nothing to do with the "SET listname HTML/NoHTML"
commands, which is what I think you are talking about.  So even if you have
a list set to Language= NoHTML, certainly a user can still receive a MIME
or MIME/HTML digest or index (which is all that the MIME/NOMIME/HTML/NOHTML
options for SET control).

I apologize for the confusion; I've had somewhat of a bad last 10 days
and LISTSERV hasn't exactly been my top priority for the first time in
the last seven years...trying to get back on the ball here.  Hope that
helps.

Nathan