Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:41:59 -0600
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:37:44 -0400, Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have some questions for LSoft.

I can't (and won't) speak for L-Soft, although I have some personal
thoughts.  As to whether or not Yahoo will 'back down'.  Personally, no, I
don't think so.  See
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-peach.exe?A2=lstown-l;8e660448.1404

A more interesting question might be, will other large email providers (e.g.
Microsoft, Comcast, Gmail, etc.)  decide to also jump on the DMARC
bandwagon.  Again, personally, I think there may be good chance this could
happen.

As to your technical questions, the DMARC project has a draft of suggestions
of how MLMs (Mail List Managers like LISTSERV) should alter their behavior
to comply with DMARC.
http://www.dmarc.org/supplemental/mailman-project-mlm-dmarc-reqs.html

Basically they propose a re-write of the From: address to something that
won't fail the DMARC lookup.  That may affect how recipients of list mail
can easily (or not) reply to the sender (original From:).  It may also
affect how list mail sorts into reading folders in recipients email client
programs.  There may also be increased risks of mail loops.

As to what that means for LISTSERV specifically I can't say, but it is hard
to imagine this could be implemented without some code changes so very
likely there will be an update or interim release of some kind.

As to your wakeup call, I know than many sites have not implemented
list-level changelogs which are crucial in logging the massive numbers of
auto-deletions and producing lists of addresses to be re-added to lists.
Site admins will be scrambling to accomplish this if they haven't
implemented changelogs.