Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 15 Aug 1992 01:52:47 +0200
On Fri, 14 Aug 1992 14:27:18 EDT "Sathaye, Shashi" [log in to unmask]>
<said:

>This all works. But here is a problem I like to see addressed:
>
>1. If  I do not  want 'indefinite' archiving,  and I find  myself either
>deleting files  from this disk or  expanding it every two  months or so,
>wouldn't it be nice to
>
>a.  have a  command that  'compresses'  these notebooks.  Sends them  in
>compressed form to the subscribers.

As long  as you (1) answer  the questions from subscribers  who need help
decompressing them and (2) write a program that can not only compress the
notebooks when the disk is almost  full, but also compress the compressed
notebooks again  when the disk  is again almost  full 3 months  after the
first compression  and save  another 3  months of disk  space, I  have no
objection.

>b. let listserv  access the 'owner's' disk whenever a  notebook needs to
>be updates,  accessed -  and the owner  takes responsibility  of keeping
>track of disk space..

If you  are talking about minidisks,  you have indeed been  too deep into
unix stuff for  too long. If you  are talking about SFS,  this is already
available, just  grant the owner  R/W access  to the directory  where the
archives are stored.

>I am shoulder  deep into Unix stuff these  days - though I am  kind of a
>short person - so please don't make me write any CMS stuff..

In case that was supposed to convince me to write your CMS stuff for you,
I'm afraid you will need much better arguments.

  Eric