Adam Floro <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 14:48:31 -0400
Hi, folks!

[log in to unmask] asked:
>Quick question that I'm sure everyone here will find really basic, I've been
>trying to find a FAQ for ListSERV but have been unable to succeed.
>...snip...
>A location of a FAQ would probably be nice too.
>
>Thanks, in advance.

I have been on and off this list and during all the time I've
been on it, I've never heard of an actual "LISTSERV FAQ".
Of course, there are the infamous ;-) "info" files which
are distributed with Revised LISTSERV.  These can be gotten
by first doing a TELL LISTSERV INFO to get a list, and then
TELL LISTSERV INFO <keyword> to get a specific info file.  Now,
for those needing additional LISTSERV information beyond what's
in the INFO files, I have mostly heard of the following:

1) Read the enhancements announcements that are posted here
by Eric Thomas, Revised LISTSERV's creator.  In the past,
(and I would assume for future releases as well), Eric is
so kind :) to post what has changed from release to release.
A *lot* of seemingly "missing" information, can be found there.

2) Now, the way to "dig up" this and other information, such as
postings from many "knowledgable" LISTSERV gurus (which I am not),
is to send "database requests" to the LISTSERV at UGA.  Here is
an example:

//
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD   *
Search enhancement in LSTSRV-L since Jan 93 where sender contains (eric)
Print
/*

Remember:  Send the above in the "body" of the note to LISTSERV@UGA
*not* to the LSTSRV-L list. :)  (And, I'm no guru, so there might
be better ways of coding this, all comments welcome. :)

Now, this produces an "index" of all of Eric's postings containing
the word "enhancement" posted since January of 1993, and provides
you a convenient printout of the postings.  Be careful, though,
you have to usually do an index first, then print out specific
postings by index number (e.g., PRINT 001234 005678).  There is
an output limitation that may be overridden (I believe).  I think
the default limit is 5000 records or something close to that.

Pretty neat, huh?  That's why we love Revised LISTSERV so much! :-)
There is an INFO file which explains this, just tell your
LISTSERV INFO DATABASE (I believe) to get this database
searching info.

3) There is also a LISTSERV TIPS document available by telling
LISTSERV AT BITNIC GET LISTSERV TIPS and there is a file management
document written by Ben Chi that might also be at BITNIC, but
I'm not sure.  Are there other excellent documents such as these?

Other than the above, I know of no other documentation available.
But, that doesn't mean there aren't any more docs out there. :-)
There should be databases available for LSTSRV-L and LSTSRV-M
with which searches can be performed.  Are there other lists
or ftp sites, or etc. that contain LISTSERV info?  Oh, yes,
there is that site FTP.SPC.EDU where the LISTSERV/AIX kit is
available, but not sure if there are other docs there, though.
And I don't know of any other ftp sites, either.

Now, if we keep this thread going and everyone submits names of
documents and where they are stored, I could possibly :) put
together a "faq" of sorts and we could put it on UGA.  It could
initially contain sources for LISTSERV documentation, but could
be added to later on, especially when LISTSERV proliferates into
the UNIX arena.  The faq could also be mentioned in the introductory
letter that new subscribers receive when they first join LSTSRV-L.
And, if I'd have kept that intro letter like I should have :)
I would have read whether a faq is mentioned.  But, I don't believe
it's mentioned.

Now after helping out Robert, let me ask for a plea for help.
I have recently become a LISTSERV manager, and feel really
"wet behind the ears".  Are there "ftp-able" or "get-able"
documents out there that go into indepth topics for
LISTSERV managers, such as List Setup/Management Techniques,
Problem Resolution Techniques (such as how to resolve bounces),
or LISTSERV Tuning and Maintenance.  Sounds like nice titles
to some LISTSERV training courses. (offered only in Hawaii,
of course, hint hint ;-)

Hope this helps and, of course, I appreciate all the help I can get, too.

Adam :-)
Adam Floro
Systems Programmer
Information Technology                     Phone:  (618) 453-6238
Southern Illinois University               Fax:    (618) 453-5261
Carbondale, IL 62901                       E-mail: [log in to unmask]