Laura Toms <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:37:17 -0500
>You might have a look at your sendmail logs.  We had a similar problem
>recently with a beta 1.8c on Solaris 2.4.  The cause seemed to be a
>problem in our Internet provider's connection to MAE East that caused a
>lot of SMTP connections to time out, making sendmail very slow.
>Sendmail became very slow in accepting messages from LISTSERV, as well
>as in delivering messages.  Presumably it was a result of the various
>sendmail parameters that control how many copies of sendmail can run at
>once.  We haven't sorted it all out yet, having decided to upgrade to
>the most recent sendmail, which has some new options.  Anyway, the
>machine (a Sparc 20 with 320 MB memory) was nearly idle while this was
>going on.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear enough about this.  Someone else pointed me to
sendmail as well, and from what I recall about the situation, sendmail
can't be blamed.  My memory is fairly hazy on this, but as I remember the
last time someone had me check into it, the message had been sent to the
list (unsnetco-l which is aliased to |/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin
/var/spool/listserv unsnetco-l) but had not been processed by LISTSERV.  I
could send administrative commands to LISTSERV and get the replies back,
but still the message had not been posted to the list.  It wasn't queued up
to be sent, either, it seemed to be sitting in the spool area.  I tried
using a utility called jobview to see if that would help me figure out what
was going on, but I found it to be no help (maybe I wasn't using it right).
 Eventually the message got posted, but it was hours later, and the list
owner was pretty perturbed about it.

I'm still pretty baffled....

Thanks.....

Laura Toms
UNIX Sytem Administrator and Postmaster
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc., Dublin, Ohio
1-800-848-5878 x5016