Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 22:39:30 +0200
On Tue, 27 Jun 1995 15:16:47 UTC [log in to unmask] said:

>We  have a  problem. We  are running  version 1.8b  of listserv  (tcp/ip
>version) and 1.2a of lmail. We do not want to be part of the backbone.

You are not on the backbone.

>Since we do not  have a BITNET connection, we will  need BITNET users to
>go  through   a  gateway.   The  addressing   should  look   similar  to
>[log in to unmask] It  was recommended that we  install lmail,
>and now that we have done just that, we are thoroughly
>*confused and frustrated*. We've set up our listserv to have any mail it
>receives to go  to mailer, but I  do not understand how  mailer will get
>the mail to  SMTP for those users  outside of our domain  and on BITNET.
>The documentation is horrible and not easy to follow.

From the installation guide:

[...copy  this  and  that  to A-disk,  etc...]  check  the  configuration
instructions in  CORPORAT SYSVARS.  In most  cases you  will want  to run
without DOMAIN NAMES  and BITEARN NODES, and dispense with  the exits and
OVERRIDE configuration until you are  familiar with the software. The one
definition that must be carefully checked  is the default entry in DOMAIN
OVERRIDE - everything else can be  omitted, at least initially. Note that
you still have to configure LOCAL SYSVARS.

CORPORAT SYSVARS says:

*
* USE_DOMAIN_NAMES = 0
*
* This statement indicates that you are  not using the database of BITNET
* gateways known as "DOMAIN NAMES". LMail will build its DOMAIN TABLE and
* DOMAINH TABLE from the information in DOMAIN OVERRIDE, and will totally
* ignore DOMAIN NAMES.  A typical DOMAIN OVERRIDE file would  have just a
* default entry pointing to your  SMTP virtual machine, and, for Internet
* sites, an entry for .BITNET pointing to a suitable gateway site:
*
*        .BITNET  mynode SMTP BSMTP NETDATA @gateway
*        DEFAULT: mynode SMTP BSMTP NETDATA
*
* Where 'mynode'  would be the local  NJE nodeid (from IDENTIFY,  or from
* the  NODE  variable in  LOCAL  SYSVARS)  and  'gateway' is  a  suitable
* Internet<->BITNET gateway,  such as CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  or SEARN.SUNET.SE.
* Note that you should seek permission from that gateway site if you plan
* to send any significant amount of traffic through their machine.
*

So you create a file called DOMAIN OVERRIDE that says:

.BITNET  TULSAJC SMTP BSMTP NETDATA @gateway
DEFAULT: TULSAJC SMTP BSMTP NETDATA

The gateway should be a well connected BITNET site that is unlikely to go
away by surprise and doesn't mind the extra traffic. Most ex-BITNET sites
use the site to which they  connect. This site was already carrying their
traffic so there is no extra burden.

Finally  you  configure LOCAL  SYSVARS  and  CORPORAT SYSVARS  to  define
privileged users,  various default  options you  may or  may not  want to
change, etc. That's all.

  Eric