Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 13 Feb 88 23:32:00 SET
(Sorry, this is going to be a bit long - well that's an unusual mail)

I've been wondering whether I should  explain all the details of why I'll
have to leave FRECP11 in a few days or not. I decided to do it, because I
would anyway be overwhelmed with questions if I did not, and also because
it may provide some entertainment to  the reader (well it's probably very
funny when you're not the one involved :-) ).

It all  started with the  installation of RSCSV2.  Since we are  going to
install  VTAM, we  had  to  install RSCSV2  too.  When  the RSCSV2  tapes
arrived, I  realized that the  sources tape, which  my boss said  she had
ordered, was missing. I called our IBM commercial rep, and she said "What
do you need sources for? The code can function perfectly without sources,
it is already compiled as it is sent  to you", etc. Well I don't need any
lecture from a  commercial <expletive deleted> about  what "source files"
means and how the code may run  without them, and said I darned well knew
what sources  are and needed  them to put  security mods into  the thing,
period.  She said  it  had become  quite difficult  to  get RSCS  sources
recently, and there would  be a delay. There was nothing I  could do so I
said okay, we'll do with the delay.

3 months later, the sources still had  not arrived. I called back and got
told there  had been unexpected  delays. I  replied that this  would just
mean unexpected  delays in the installation  of RSCSV2, and hence  in the
installation of VTAM  and subsequent payment of the license  fee. My gosh
why do we need commercial reps besides the "technical" ones?

One  week later  (still no  sources),  an operator  told me  that he  had
overheard a  conversation between  the computing  center's administrative
director (henceforth  referred to as  'my boss') and our  commercial rep.
She said  that, from what  she had understood,  the IBMess was  trying to
convince my boss  than mod are Evil  and that OCO is Good  and she should
not let evil  sysprogs tamper with the Pristine and  Perfect IBM sources.
My  boss was  worried  about  the security  aspect,  but  the IBMess  was
confident that this had been solved in  the last release and mods were no
longer needed.  My boss always  believes any technical statement  made by
IBM, as though it were written down in the Holy Bible.

This ended  up in  an official  interview between  my boss,  my colleague
sysprog (who is the official Head of the Systems Group - note that she is
also the  one and only member  of the systems  group so this is  a purely
honorific  title meant  to compensate  the fact  that there  are 4  other
persons in  her tiny office and  she has to  share her phone line  with 6
others), my boss and IBM. Funny as it may seem, the commercial rep was no
longer  confident  that  RSCSV2  was  free of  security  holes,  and  the
technical rep even  acknowledged the existence of  these problems. Still,
they were advocating OCO  and the removal of all mods  from the system. I
started fighting their arguments, and  finally decided to forget it since
I'm leaving this place in 10 weeks anyway - after all it's their problem.
Their main argument was that my colleague would never be able to maintain
them and  port them  to RSCSV2 (which  is perfectly true  - when  she was
hired, she had never used a VM  system and she has been given no training
whatsoever; she also had 6 (now  7) computers from 4 different vendors to
maintain, and has  little time for anything but user  support). I offered
to port them  to RSCSV2 myself before  leaving, but this was  seen as not
being any solution  to the problem. I said of  course, the actual problem
is you don't want  to give her the training that  she needs (eg assembler
courses, or courses  on CP/CMS internals). The reply was  that she didn't
know  any of  this training,  and assembler  is a  useless language  that
nobody ever needs any more nowadays - in 5 years, you won't ever need any
qualification to be a sysprog (besides reading, writing and arithmetics).
Our commercial  rep then came  up with the notion  that I should  write a
complete technical documentation  about the mods before I  leave, so that
my colleague could maintain them. This is  stupid of course - how can you
expect to have someone translate english  into chinese if he doesn't have
the slightest notion of chinese, even with the best available dictionary?
The commercial rep, remembering  her flattery lessons (IBM confidential),
said she was  confident I could write a document  empowering my colleague
to port  the mods  to V2  herself. Well considering  that I'm  being paid
FF0.00/month,  I don't  see why  I should  do any  boring work  for them,
especially if this  work is going to be completely  useless - they should
be glad I keep  the system running at all. My  boss then became extremely
angry, saying that I wasn't billed the ($100 - that's one hundred not one
thousand)  CPU time  I  swallow  up every  month  and  that there  should
therefore be no reason to give me  any money for my service. I don't know
how I  managed not  to shatter  the windows in  a shout  of anger  at the
mention  that the  service I  provided was  esteemed to  be worth  $100 a
month. I simply said I wouldn't  write any such document unless they gave
the required training to my colleague (so she could use it), and a decent
amount of money to me. I also  mentioned that my mods have been installed
on several other EARN/BITNET nodes,  and that nobody complained about the
lack of documentation  nor had any problem adapting the  mod to fit their
local  ones -  in  other words,  a competent  sysprogs  doesn't need  any
'technical  document'  besides the  comments  in  the  PTF file  and  the
description of what it does, which is already available.

My boss  was extremely vexed  and went to  see the Higher  Management, so
that they would 'punish' me (note  - that's my impression, she didn't say
anything about it and would certainly pretend to be vexed if she saw that
:-) ).  The net  result was that  she got herself  into an  extremely bad
situation, and is probably going to  incur a blame from the Head Director
himself. She was accused of having  allowed a student from another school
play an important role in the maintenance of the system. Students are, by
definition, untrustworthy,  incompetent (with  the only exception  of the
students of  the School, which  are of course  competent), unexperienced,
and write very poor code/research  papers/whatever. This is funny because
the same  Higher Management had refused  to give my boss  another sysprog
when the one that  was there when I first came to  FRECP11 left. That is,
there was ZERO  sysprog in the school and nobody  looked after the system
(except me). Nobody could create accounts, nobody could do anything if by
some act  of God the  system suddenly decided to  go wrong. As  the users
used to say  in that time, "They  have hired someone to go  to the church
every day and burn candles instead,  praying that nothing bad will happen
to the system" :-) The second blame that  was laid on my boss is that she
had allowed the  same student to write code that  the official sysprog is
not able to maintain.  This strikes me as even more  funny since the code
was written when the sysprog was  the person before the person before the
current sysprog  (as you can  see, people don't  remain in this  shop for
very long -  I've seen 3 generations  of sysprogs in less  than 3 years).
This one said he  didn't have any problem with maintaining  the code if I
left, although it would  of course take him much more  time than it would
take me. I  guess my boss should  have foreseen that he  would leave, and
that  her successor  wouldn't  remain much  longer (well  she  had no  VM
experience either anyway), and her successor's successor wouldn't be able
to  maintain the  code. The  Higher Management  also suggested  that they
threw me out on  the spot, destroying all my files.  My boss replied that
this would certainly not solve the problem, and the Higher Management had
another opportunity  to compete for a  Guinness Book of Records  entry in
its  favourite chapter,  "Incompetence": "Well,  just  ask the  VFI /*  a
student  spending his  mandatory  'army  service' in  the  school in  the
computing center */ to port the mods and write the technical description.
He may never have used a VM system before, but he does know how to use an
IBM PC so it shouldn't take him more  than one week or two to get used to
the 4381 and start being productive". It  would be funny if it weren't so
sad.

In any case, the Higher Management will discuss the problem with the Head
Director  and  come  up  with  a decision  by  monday.  There  are  three
possibilities:

1. Throw me out  and destroy all my files, unconditionally.  The VFI will
   port the mods and write the documentation.

2. Give  me some (ridiculous)  amount of money  in exchange for  the Holy
   Document, and  perform step 1 or  3 if I  refuse to abide. I  would of
   course be paid only when my colleague has managed to port the mods, so
   that the  quality of the  Document may be ascertained.  This obviously
   means 'never' -  well I'd really like  to see someone port  the VMH or
   MULTICS5 mods to RSCSV2 without learning assembler :-)

3. Remove  all the mods and  all the production software  I have written,
   throw me out and destroy all my files.

The most likely is  (2), then (3). Since I do not plan  to accept (2), at
least not with  the (previsional) condition that "you do  it for (almost)
naught  or we  zap  your account  and  files" (nice  chaps  uh?) it  will
probably mean  that my account  won't last  very long. I  certainly don't
like being threatened of having my  files zapped without being allowed to
get a  copy (note that  this is perfunctory since  I already have  a full
backup, but still).  I certainly don't like being forced  to do something
for  people who  have exploited  me  for 3  years and  are obviously  not
satisfied with the money this has already saved them. This simply isn't a
way for fair, civilized people to  behave, considering that I have always
tried to be helpful,  even when it meant more work for me  - I had simply
refused to do something that would be intrinsically useless and had given
good reasons for that. Anyway I prefer  to leave right now and leave them
neck-deep in the brown stuff - I  was planning to explain to my colleague
how all  the software I wrote  works, give her recommendations  on how to
maintain it, give her my phone number in case there is a serious problem,
etc.  I haven't  been able  to  do it  yet  since she's  been in  various
training courses for the last 2 weeks (funny - they do have money to give
her UNIX courses). Now I'm glad I haven't.

I feel  that the  attitude of  the Higher Management  towards my  boss is
undeserved (not  that I think the  outcome is undeserved -  the arguments
are).  However, she  certainly deserves  a blame  for the  sheer lack  of
intellect that she showed when she told me that my account would probably
have to be deleted next week  with all files erased (she obviously wasn't
pleased at the  notion), unless I accepted a set  of conditions which she
probably knows  I will  never accept.  She would  have been  in a  lot of
trouble if I had  been the vandal type. My boss,  in her Infinite Wisdom,
had decided  that all backup  tapes, past,  present and future,  would be
stored in  the same place,  so we don't have  to be searching  in several
places  when we  need to  find  the last  backup.  This Holy  Vault is  a
paper-thin metal sheets cupboard with a  pretense lock that a child of 10
could easily break  open (I have the  key anyway). It would  be very easy
for me  to mount the 20-30  tapes contained in this  cupboard and destroy
them in such  a way that they'd  look exactly like an  unreadable tape (I
prefer not to give details as I don't think this is needed). Furthermore,
my boss, her  Overwhelming Wisdom helping, had also  decided that backups
should be made on  cheapo surplus tapes - we're not a  rich site you see,
and there's  an unthinkable bunch  of backup tapes,  over 20! The  last 3
attempts at restoring something from  a backup tape failed miserably with
an I/O error and the help of DDR's total lack of recovery routine (if the
start  of  the tape  is  unreadable,  nothing  past  the scratch  can  be
restored). If they realized the  backups were broken, they probably would
think it's  because of the tapes,  and they couldn't prove  the tapes had
been intentionally  damaged. I could  then put a  mod into CP  that would
work for just a few hours on  a given day, and would randomly change disk
read operations to writes and vice  versa. This would destroy the present
contents of  the disks in minutes  (if activated during prime  time), and
everybody  would suspect  a transient  hardware error.  In any  case, the
present file  store would be damaged  beyond repair and backups  would be
unreadable. All the work of the users community in the last 5 years would
be completely annihilated. I'm sure my boss would be fired on the spot if
this  were to  happen -  it's utter  foolishness to  store all  available
backup tapes in the same place, what would happen if there was a fire???

Anyway. I'll have more information about the Higher Management's decision
on monday. In  any case, I'm confident that they  won't remove my account
until monday 21st: the sysprog will be  off all the week, and nobody else
has authority to change passwords, remove accounts, etc. My boss had once
requested that  she be  given the  sysprog's password,  but then  she had
immediately rushed to the  users' room to logon to it  (note that she has
her  own private  terminal in  her office,  20 seconds  distant from  the
users' room),  and for some reason  she "forgot" to logoff  when she left
(anyway she has this "local echo" feature  that causes her to echo to her
Vocal Subsystem anything  that gets output on the  Fingertips Facility, a
bit  like a  VT100  except that  she doesn't  have  the echo  suppression
facility for  password prompts  :-), so  I'd be  surprised if  nobody had
overheard the  password while she  "typed" it).  Well a group  of hackers
burst into the system 6h after  she had been given the password, stealing
files, printing  notebooks of other  users from the accounts  of innocent
people, etc. She didn't dare to ask for the password again :-)

In any case, I'll  be on ERIC@CEARN in 6 weeks  of time (unless something
very  unexpected  happens).  In  the meanwhile,  I'll  be  reachable  via
OLIVIER@PASTEUR, and I'll try to get myself an account on another VM EARN
system  in  Paris.  I'll  set  up LISTSERV  to  forward  ERIC's  mail  to
ERIC@CEARN as soon as I am forced  to leave. My main problem is precisely
[log in to unmask] They will most probably keep it up (well if they don't,
the 3812 programs will no longer  work - LISTSERV performs the accounting
and creates header pages). They will  most certainly NOT maintain it. I'm
trying to get rid of all the lists, but it's not that easy. The following
changes have already been made:

 EARNSEC  --> EARNSEC@CEARN
 LCOORD-L --> LCOORD-L@CEARN
 LSTSRV-M --> LSTSRV-M@CEARN
 LIAISON  --> Killed, recipients moved to another LIAISON  list.
 RSCSMODS --> Killed, recipients moved to another RSCSMODS list.
 SCRIPT-L --> Killed, recipients moved to another SCRIPT-L list.
 CHAT-L   --> Killed, recipients moved to another CHAT-L   list.

Note  that  POLYGRAF  is down  and  I  have  been  unable to  update  the
appropriate peers. I still have  EARNTECH, LSTSRV-L and LINKFAIL to move,
and this is a big problem,  especially for LINKFAIL which is the European
entry point  (ie the one pointed  to by BITNIC), and  can't reasonably be
moved on  the other  side of  the FRMOP22-CEARN line.  There is  only one
other LISTSERV in France  (FRULM11), and I'm not sure they  have a lot of
disk space  and CPU time to  spend on LISTSERV. I'll  contact the FRULM11
NAD on monday anyway. I will also  alter the link weights file to get all
the DISTRIBUTE traffic off FRECP11; whether it will be handled by FRULM11
or cast back on the international  lines (meaning duplication of files on
the heavily loaded  lines) depends solely upon the amount  of CPU FRULM11
can donate to the network, and I will not try to force anything upon them
- 25 minutes a  day is hard to swallow for an  overloaded 4341. Note that
an omission  on my part  in the last version  of LINKSWT FILE  caused all
traffic to  be sent  to FRULM11  rather than FRECP11  if VERS8802  is not
installed. I will correct this on monday.

In any case, if something  goes wrong with LISTSERV@FRECP11, don't panic,
I'll  probably  be able  to  do  something. None  of  the  people in  the
computing center want me off (not  even my boss), and they'd probably let
me come some  day to make a  change to LISTSERV if it  really couldn't be
fixed remotely. Of  course it wouldn't take me much  more than 10 minutes
to get into the system from a  vanilla account, now that all the security
mods have  been tripped (vanilla IBM  sure is nice for  hackers), but I'd
rather not  do that - it's  their CPU after  all, not mine (well  I would
sure  enjoy  having a  9370  at  home,  but  unfortunately I'm  not  rich
enough... :-) ).

  Eric