Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 15 Jan 1994 00:40:36 +0100
I'll let  CREN make an official  answer, and quickly state  that L-Soft's
official position  is that the  negotiations are going on,  nothing final
has been  decided, but  we are more  hopeful than we  were last  month. I
can't give  you my personal opinion  at this stage as  it could prejudice
negotiations, so  I'll just  give you  an update  on what  happened since
December.

In early December it became clear that we had reached a "take it or leave
it" point. CREN  informed me that the  issue would now have to  go to the
board  for approval,  and asked  me to  provide supporting  material with
business cases and feature lists showing  why it is good for CREN members
to get the new versions, and why  it is good for CREN to license LISTSERV
on behalf of its members. I reluctantly complied, and we agreed that we'd
do our best to keep in touch over Christmas. The board reacted positively
but I'd rather let CREN give you the details. CREN's lawyer is working on
an  agreement,  and L-Soft's  lawyers  are  working  on a  new  licensing
agreement to be used in conjunction with this agreement.

Maybe  I should  clarify  that  last point  since  several sites  already
returned  signed copies  of GA-9305-2.  The problem  is that  CREN saw  a
number  of  problems with  GA-9305-2  and  was  not prepared  to  license
LISTSERV based on that agreement. This was a serious source of contention
during  the negotiation  process. CREN  asserted that  GA-9305-2 contains
language  that may  cause  certain  CREN members  to  refuse signing  the
agreement, which  would obviously be  detrimental to CREN. L-Soft  on the
other hand pointed to a heap  of signed copies of GA-9305-2 from academic
sites and stressed the  fact that it was not in  L-Soft's interest to put
itself in a position where it can't sell anything to CREN members because
they won't sign the contracts, and  the discussion was going nowhere. For
unrelated reasons, L-Soft had decided to retain a law firm specialized in
software issues  in order  to get  more competent advice  on a  number of
licensing  issues raised  by corporate  customers, and  L-Soft agreed  to
address any  problem CREN's  lawyers would describe  to the  new lawyers,
provided that we  moved on and stopped arguing about  contracts, and that
sites  which wanted  to  use  GA-9305-2 (for  instance  because they  had
already signed it and didn't care for more paperwork) could do so.

The new lawyers  complained that GA-9305-2 does not  follow the "industry
standard" way  of designing  software contracts and  that changing  it to
address  the corporate  customers' issues  would be  more expensive  than
redrafting it as a customized  version of their standard contract. Indeed
the lawyer  that originally drafted GA-9305-2  did not seem to  know much
about computers, whereas the new law firm has a couple former programmers
on  their  payroll  and  don't  need to  be  taught  about  networks  and
electronic software delivery (in fact, they  are getting hooked up to the
Internet  :-) ).  So we  are going  to get  a new  and totally  different
contract  (I just  got  the first  draft  today), and  we  expect to  let
customers choose between the new contract  and GA-9305-2 for a while - at
least until this fall.  I made sure that the lawyers  are aware of CREN's
concern and we'll see what they  come up with. Their preliminary reply is
that their contracts are "industry standard" and do not draw attention or
otherwise raise  suspicion during legal  review, whereas GA-9305-2  is so
unusual that it is likely to be read  very carefully. I expect to be in a
position to send  CREN a decent draft  within a week for  their review. I
had  initially hoped  the lawyers  would work  between Christmas  and New
Year, but unfortunately  I was told the end of  December is always booked
for super-urgent jobs  that absolutely have to be done  before the end of
the year for  legal reasons, so this  didn't work out. I  assume CREN had
the same problem so I don't blame  them for not having a draft yet. Let's
hope things move quickly and we reach  an agreement before the end of the
month.

  Eric