Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Sep 1992 22:54:56 +0200
On Thu, 17 Sep 1992 16:09:33 EDT Greg Kroll <USDGK@VTVM1> said:

>* Files=        Yes
>* Send=      Editor
>*
>* Editor= FASTLINE@VTVM1 Peggy Morgan
>* Editor= SANDERSW@VTVM1 Bill Sanders
>* Owner= FASTLINE@VTVM1 Peggy Morgan
>* Owner= SANDERSW@VTVM1 Bill Sanders
>*
>
>Our postmaster had a look in the console log while we attempted to punch
>a copy of the file and it said something to the effect of "no recipients
>left", but no one on the list received a copy.
>
>When I  had the  editor mail the  file instead, it  works (as  should be
>expected). My  question is, why does  the PUNCHed file fail  even though
>the list is set to FILES= YES?

This is a design problem which  had never been noticed before because the
list editor  is usually also  a list owner,  and before 1.7d  the routine
which  processes authorization  keywords  accepted  the values  "Editor",
"Quayle"  and many  others as  valid synonyms  for "any  list owner".  So
whenever LISTSERV was checking that the  editor was allowed to access the
list, it was  in fact checking that  the editor was a  list owner, except
when deciding  whether mail could be  sent to a  list: there is a  lot of
code there to deal with moderated  lists, and the routine in question was
not used.

I will have to  enhance the routine in question and  generate a fix. Note
that only "Send= Editor" lists are affected.

  Eric