"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Thu, 6 Oct 88 21:04:36 GMT
The reason  I don't simply  retag are that  some BITNET sites  won't take
mail which  doesn't have the destination  in the RFC822 or  BSMTP header.
Typical  examples  are sites  connected  via  RJE,  which don't  get  any
information  about the  destination userid  from the  RJE headers.  Also,
there are VAX sites  which may or may not deliver  properly if the userid
is >  8 characters,  UNIX sites  which work the  way God  wants operating
systems to work and won't pass a file sent to JONES to userid Jones, etc.
I simply  feel safer  using the  mailer all the  time -  if there  is any
complaint about undelivered  mail, I could simply forward it  to Alan :-)
I'd like to hear more about these  header problems, though - what are the
headers which are improperly forwarded and  how could I modify FORWARD to
solve this?

  Eric