Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 17 May 1987 21:35 SET
  I  have finished  writing the  DIST2 command  processor. It  took some  time
because I had to completely rewrite most  of its 1416 lines -- both because of
the new algorithm  (which I will explain  another day) and because  of the new
functions. A  very important new  feature is  DISTRIBUTE RFC822. It  takes the
"data"  dataset, parses  it  as RFC822  mail,  and extracts  the  FROM and  TO
information from it. The file then  gets processed as a FILE distribution job,
is propagated  among the appropriate  servers, but ends  up sent to  the local
MAILER as  a BSMTP job with  (possibly) multiple recipients. That  is, it gets
delivered exactly as if it had been passed on to the local MAILER, except that
it has been  processed as a DISTRIBUTE  job instead of being  sent directly to
all the recipients. It also gets parsed by a full RFC822 parser which does not
reject quote-quotation  and suchlike  :-) To  use that  feature, all  that the
mailing agent has to do is:

1) Insert the following three lines on top of the RFC822 mailfile:

    //Mail JOB Echo=No

           DISTRIBUTE RFC822

    //DATA DD *,EOF,Res=Disk

2) Direct the file to LISTSERV instead of MAILER.

  Anyway, I  have tested the new  stuff on my  server, have fixed most  of the
bugs  and think  that it  is now  eligible for  beta-testing. The  output jobs
generated by the  server look ok, but now  I have no way to  know whether they
would be processed  correctly as input by  the server who's going  to get them
:-)  The  inter-server  control information  input-extraction  routines  might
generate REXX errors for  all that I know... So I would need  help to test the
code. Preferrably two or three sites  -- I need to test intermediate-server to
intermediate-server control  commands too,  and this  requires at  least three
servers. By the way, don't worry if  your server gets a few DIST2 commands and
rejects them as unknown command during the test period -- I have told the exec
that all backbone servers had DIST2 operational :-)

  Please send me  mail if you are  interested to benchmark DIST2.  Note that I
won't send  you all of  1.5j (too many files,  really!), just those  "that are
needed", which  means that I  will perhaps forget a  few files and  you server
might operate strangely  for a few hours after you  install the beta-shipment,
especially if I'm in school at that time... :-) So be sure to be available for
more than 10 minutes before installing the stuff.

  Here's a sample  job output showing the  paths taken by a  sample file (with
the  current link  weight file).  Please  feel free  to comment  if you  think
something is wrong.  Note that I have temporarily added  CEARN to the backbone
during the test to check that it properly receives recipients if I send a file
to 10  people at DEARN and  10 people at  IBACSATA -- with the  old DISTRIBUTE
there would have been one file sent directly to DEARN and one to IBACSATA, and
nothing to CEARN (the algorithm was a little dumb...)

/../