Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 16:41:11 +0200
On Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:54:06 EDT Frank Pfaff <[log in to unmask]> said:

>For example,  educated users of  English, French, Spanish,  Italian, and
>Portuguese  can  often  read   and  understand  significant  amounts  of
>Interlingua with  little or  no training.  (See the  Interlingua example
>below.)
>
>Io crede que accesso a un lista postal meliorea grandemente le efficacia
>de nostre communication. Ergo, io  cerca un servicio de posta electronic
>que nos permitterea a establir e administrar un tal lista postal.)

If I hadn't known any better, I would have said this was an Italian who'd
started learning  Spanish a  month ago,  or vice versa.  It looks  like a
50/50 mix with invariant verbs  and other grammatical simplifications, ie
the way  a student sounds  when he  has to use  a construct covered  in a
chapter they  haven't yet reached  in class  :-) As for  English speakers
understanding  what was  being said,  if this  example weren't  obviously
about e-mail  I doubt it would  be understood. Above all,  I have extreme
difficulty  in  picturing  a  native   speaker  of  Spanish,  Italian  or
Portuguese actually writing  in this dialect and keeping  his lunch where
it belongs. I  do concede that it's easier to  understand than Esperanto,
but  then only  because it's  much closer  to the  original languages.  I
mean...

Original jumble:

>Io crede que accesso a un lista postal meliorea grandemente le efficacia
>de nostre communication.

In Italian you *could* say:

Io  credo  che  [pronounced  "que"]   l'accesso  a  una  "lista  postale"
migliorera [pronounced "miliorera"]  grandemente l'efficacia delle nostre
communicazioni.

You would probably  say "una mailing list", not "una  lista postale", but
that's specific  to the  example in question.  You would  probably phrase
things differently, too. But anyway, say both aloud with a foreign accent
and you won't know which was which originally. I'll spare you the Spanish
translation. Anyway,  this sounds just  like what  we needed to  make our
lives more interesting on the Internet :-)

  Eric