"A. Harry Williams" <HARRY@MARIST>
Thu, 29 Jan 87 10:02:59 EST
I happened to be just completing a large DISTRIBUTION that spanned
most of the network, and since there seems to be some problems
identifying how some material has gone, I thought I would compile the
results I have gotten so far.  I was attempting to send an announcement
to the contact person listed in BITEARN NODES for every VM node.
(As an aside, I've had 3 of those return for address does not exist.
Hows that for accuracy?)  When I reduced duplicates, that reduced to
just over 400 people.  Since they are spread through out the network,
the ditribute function seemed ideal.  My first attempt partially failed
due to some data files, PEERS NAMES and LINKSWT FILE, not being on my
A-disk.  They were on a R/O disk.  This caused the PEERS NAMES file to
never be updated by Eric, and the NODESGEN command to ignore LINKSWT
and use just number of links.  Once that was cleared up, I deleted people
I had already delivered the note to, and started again.  I sent my job to
[log in to unmask]  Below I have draw a diagram of how the date flowed through
the network.  One real pain was that the Lehigh Listserv has had distribute
disabled, but the Rutgers listserv still tried to use it.  Watch out if you
try to use it.

                    +-FRECP11----BNANDP11--x

                    |          +-DB0TUI11--x
                    |          |
                    +-DEARN----+-AWIIMC11--x
                    |          |
                    |          +-HEARN-----x

         +-CEARN----+-FINHUTC---x
         |          |
         |          +-EB0UB011--x
         |          |
         |          +-IRLEARN---x
         |                                +-IRISHVM---x
         |                                |
         |                     +-UIUCVMD--+
         |                     |          |
         |                     |          +-RICE-------TAMVM1-----x
         |                     |
         |          +-CMUCCVMA-+-UTCVM------UGA-------?
MARIST---+          |          |
         |          |          +-AKRONVM---x
         +-NCSUVM---+
         |          |                     +-UTORONTO---x
         |          |                     |
         |          |          +-CANADA01-+
         |          |          |          |
         |          |          |          +-WATDCS---?
         |          +-SUVM-----+
         |                     |
         |                     +-UBVM-----x

         +-RUTVM1-----LEHIIBM1---*

         +-BYUADMIN---OREGON1----WSUVM1-----?

x - End of Distribution
? - No results yet
* - Distribution rejected, feature disabled

CEARN  - rejected 4 node forwarded to it.
NCSUVM - rejected 7 node forwarded to it.

Also there was 4 different To: address given when the Ack
were returned to me.  I suspect that the ack get is name from its SIGNUP FILE,
not from the Distribute job.

1 - HARRY@MARIST
2 - "A. Harry Williams" <HARRY@MARIST>
3 - "Harry Williams" <HARRY@MARIST>
4 - "A. HARRY WILLIAMS" <HARRY@MARIST>

The pattern of return was:
   1            2            3            4
BNANDP11     FRECP11      RICE         CANADA01
DEARN        CEARN        SUVM
DB0TUI11     NCSUVM       RUTVM1
AWIIMC11     CMUCCVMA     BYUADMIN
HEARN        UIUCVMD