Steve Wynkoop <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 22:38:44 -0700
Hi everyone,

Pardon the newbie question, but I've recently started up a new list
(MSOFFICE-L) and am curious about the management of the errors that I
get back from the list.

I've been watching the reports closely and, both in my own observation
and in watching the feedback on this list, I've decided that those
"warning - undeliverable after xxx hours..." messages are useless.
Fine, no problem.  I nuke 'em.

My question is about the genuinely undeliverable messages.  At what
point do you remove someone's account?  I've manually monitored
several accounts that seemed like candidates only to have them all
of a sudden stop reporting errors.  I have to assume that they had a
host problem and that it was corrected.  If I'd simply removed them
right away, they would have been (IMO) erroneously removed from the
list by my trigger-happiness.

What's the criteria for removing a subscriber?  How do you know when
a person is really gone and should be scrapped?

I've also seen cases where I get a message from someone that's trying
to subscribe to the list but can't.  They send in the message and
await the confirmation, but never receive it.  They are not
subscribed (we require the confirmation) and wonder what happened.
I respond to the address (or addresses in some cases) listed in their
header without a problem, but it's obvious that Listserv has a
problem in getting to them.  In contradiction to my first question,
when do you manually *add* someone?

I'm sorry for being long-winded.  I wanted to get all the facts out
so you'd only hear from me once on the issue! :)

Thanks for your time, consideration and help!

SW
Stephen Wynkoop