Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:18:34 -0400
Off the top of my head:

I'd only have one mailing list; the sublist/superlist setup shouldn't be
necessary.  The key things are:

1) The instructor shouldn't be a listowner.  (It may be appropriate to have
him or her be an editor or a moderator, depending on who's supposed to be
sending mail to the mailing list.)

1) On the mailing list, set * Review= Private

2) On the sublist, set all of the private subscribers to have the CONCEAL
option set.  (SET listname CONCEAL for user@node)

If you already have a list of the private users' email addresses, you can
use that; otherwise, you can get a list of these users by issuing a 'SCAN
listname PRIVATE'.

3) Make sure that the instructor him/herself is a subscriber to the
sublist.  (He or she can be set to be nomail.)

The CONCEAL option prevents the user from showing up on REVIEW commands
(unless the command is issued by a listowner), so this should do it.

A side-effect of this setup is that other students on the mailing list will
be able to get a list of other non-concealed subscribers.  I don't know if
that's a problem or not, or if there's a policy on such things.  If it is,
there may be other * Review= options that plug this hole; see the manual
(or the LISTKEYW MEMO file) for more information on how this can be set up.

Even if this isn't how you end up setting up your mailing lists, I hope
these suggestions are of some help.

-jwgh