"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 15:37:04 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Maurice Hendrix
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>I have setup my Mailing-list software to send out digests when older than 7
>days or larger than 90kB. I seem to recall that some of the older gateways
>and hosts can't handle mails larger than 100kB. So, 90kB is a safe limit I
>guess.

>I think with <1500> they mean: lines.

Yes, lines.  Assume a line is 80 bytes.

I operate some active lists where the size limit is 1500 for one
and 1750 for the other.  No complaints.  They are also "daily".
My guess is that weekly and monthly are of lesser value for
active lists.  Here is a an example of the DIGEST= keyword for
one of my lists:

* Digest= Yes,Same,Daily,23:55,Size(1750)

Folks who reply back to the list often have a non-descript Subject: line
original generated by the Digest distribution.

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "It's not kosher, it's spam"   s/me    +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA