Joe Sparrow <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Sep 1992 07:19:27 PDT
On Wed, 23 Sep 1992 09:17:39 EDT Paul Goodwin said in part: The other
>way you could do this is to use one of the VM Usenet News
>implementations. The problem here, of course, is that while you only
>have one copy of each article, you carry EVERY article . . .

I have PSU's VM/Netnews installed for several reasons: reducing overall
spool space and, more importantly to me and a few others in the
computing centre, reducing the interuptions of a bunch of mail arriving.

Unlike most sites, I only subscribe Netnews to the individual LISTSERV
lists that I want to (I do not take a news feed - we have a fairly full
feed on another machine).  Periodically, I go thru the LISTSERV console
and see what the popular lists are and, depending on volume, size of
postings, etc., may make the list available on Netnews and inform the
local subscribers that the list is now available in another form.

For further info on PSU's VM/Netnews get files NETNEWS LISTING (user
guide) and NNADMIN LISTING (admin guide) from PSUVM.