Rainer M Woitok <MAINT@DERRZE1>
Thu, 23 Mar 89 09:13:28 CET
>         The use of DIRMAINT induces a restriction on special characters that
>         can appear in a user identification.  Only those characters allowed
>         in a CMS file name (A through Z, 0 through 9, @, #, $) are permitted.

That's not specific  to DIRMAINT 4.0, but is valid  for current versions
of DIRMAINT  too. It originates  in the fact  that to create,  review or
maintain  user  directory entries,  DIRMAINT  uses  CMS files  with  the
userid as the file  name and "DIRECT" as file type. So  if we managed to
live with it up to now, DIRMAINT 4.0 will not worsen the situation.

Sincerely
 Rainer

PS: "-"  and "_" are also  valid in a CMS  file name, so they  will most
probably be  allowed in  userids, even  if the  manual does  not mention
them.  Sometimes even  IBM's software  is more  clever than  the manuals
assume )-;

| Rainer M. Woitok                 | Phone  : (+49 9131) 85-7811,-7031 |
| Regionales Rechenzentrum         | Fax    : (+49 9131) 30 29 41      |
| Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet | e-Mail : [log in to unmask]     |
| D-8520 Erlangen                  |                                   |
| West Germany                     |                                   |