Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 24 Oct 89 18:27:20 GMT
Here is  an except from the  minutes of the last  EARN Network Operations
Group meeting which I am afraid I simply cannot let pass.

>        It was noted that certain EARN  sites have been removed from the
>        BITNET  version  of  PEERS  NAMES, and  that  this  was  causing
>        problems.
>
>        It was agreed  that an agreement was necessary  with BITNET over
>        responsibility for  defining the  backbone status of  EARN list-
>        servers in the BITNET version of  PEERS NAMES. It was decided to
>        recommend  to  the   EARN  Exec  that  the   following  text  be
>        communicated to BITNET and that BITNET be asked for a response.
>
>                Listservers in  use are  in use  on both  networks whose
>                operation is governed by certain data files (PEERS NAMES
>                and LINKSWT FILE). These  data files are currently being
>                maintained   by  two   persons,   of   whom  one   takes
>                responsibility for  servers within  EARN, and  the other
>                takes  responsibility  for  the  servers  on  the  other
>                networks.
>
>                It is important that these  data files are kept in close
>                synchronization in order to  avoid disruption of service
>                and  imposition of  unnecessary  remedial  work on  tghe
>                personnel at server sites.
>
>                EARN  wishes therefore  to  conclude  an agreement  with
>                BITNET  to  co-ordinate update  of  these  files and  to
>                establish appropriate assignment of responsibilities for
>                the data representing our respective networks.

I take offense at the following statement, which is completely erroneous:

>        It was noted that certain EARN  sites have been removed from the
>        BITNET  version  of  PEERS  NAMES, and  that  this  was  causing
>        problems.

Either this information was brought to the  NOG as it is written here, in
which  case  we   have  a  serious  communication  problem,   or  it  was
misunderstood by the person who wrote  the minutes (and, given that Niall
is  quite  knowledgeable  about  LISTSERV,   it  probably  means  it  was
misunderstood by a majority).

No EARN site  has been removed from the "BITNET  version" of PEERS NAMES.
Three EARN  sites (IRLEARN, UKACRL  and ICNUCEVM) have been  removed from
the LISTSERV backbone, because they had not been updating their tables in
the past 5 months.  I would like to remind you that  keeping tables up to
date is an  explicit requirement for backbone sites, and  I don't think I
need to bore  you with the technical  details of why it  is so important.
Backbone sites running with tables or  a version of LISTSERV older than 1
month,  without a  good  reason (eg  this or  that  version doesn't  work
because of a  bug in our level  of VM), can be removed  from the backbone
without any further  justification. In this respect, 5 months  is quite a
laxist margin, in my opinion.

The truth is that  the fact that these servers were  on the backbone with
very old tables was causing daily problems in the distribution of mail (a
lot of files got distributed by direct send from the servers in question,
thus nullifying the advantages of DISTRIBUTE, and hundreds of junk mail a
week were  sent to LISTSERV  coordination). For these reasons,  and after
not having answered a warning sent 1 week in advance nor having taken any
corrective action  to refresh this tables  or authorize Turgut to  do so,
these sites were  removed from the backbone to solve  the problems I have
mentioned.  If this  removal has  caused any  problem, these  were purely
POLITICAL problems, not technical ones (or then I would like to hear more
about them).

Shortly thereafter, I have received a  note from Dermot O'Beirne from UCD
(IRLEARN) explaining that,  having been made responsible for  EARN at UCD
all  of a  sudden, it  had taken  him time  to understand  the day-to-day
realities of EARN  operations, and LISTSERV in particular.  He assured me
that he would keep  the tables updated in the future, and  I put him back
immediately on  the backbone, after  checking that he had  indeed updated
his tables.  Please note  that IRLEARN  is not a  site the  management of
which I  would say  I like  particularly -  so much  for people  who have
insinuated that this removal was a personal revenge on the IRLEARN folks.

Now,  I have  heard that  our Italian  colleagues have  been quite  a bit
vociferous in their complaints at the  NOG, even though they did not deem
it useful to let  me know about their unhappiness (and  for this reason I
apologize for having  to quote second-hand sources  of information). They
seem however to  be much faster at complaining than  at taking corrective
action,  since  yesterday  they  were still  running  these  5-months-old
tables, which apparently have been updated today.

To conclude on this sad story, I  am very disappointed at the way the NOG
has dealt with  this issue. I see an erroneous  statement in the minutes,
followed by a plan  for action at the political level  to try to "bypass"
me  for the  update of  PEERS NAMES,  and a  further insinuation  that my
course of  action is imposing unnecessary  work at the sites  housing the
servers,  which basically  means that,  by  refusing to  keep sites  with
outdated tables on the backbone, I am forcing the staff of these sites to
perform the unnecessary work of updating  these tables. I hear rumours of
strong complaints  about this  technically-inspired decision,  but, apart
from IRLEARN,  I do  not see  any attempt at  correcting the  problem and
asking to be put back on the backbone.

Surely  the  NOG  realizes  that  this  kind  of  attitude  is  not  very
productive,  and is  not of  the sort  that leads  to better  cooperation
between  the two  parties  (especially as  I have  not  been offered  the
opportunity  to  defend myself,  even  via  electronic  mail). I  am  now
strongly  tempted  to  cease  any  technical  cooperation  regarding  the
LISTGATE  project,   and  to   stop  wasting   my  time   on  maintaining
compatibility with LISTEARN (which cost me  1h of time last week). I will
wait  until tomorrow  to make  sure my  decision on  this respect  is not
emotional, and I will then let you know what I have decided.

  Eric