Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:53:18 -0600
On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:10:34 -0700, "John, Laura (MSNBCi)"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have verified with WebTV that this was an intended change on their part.
>At the same time, I expressed frustration that I have to change the number
>of recipients setting (MAXBSMTP) for ALL of my lists, ALL domains because
>they have made this change. (This is the case, isn't it?)

If you are using LSMTP as your outbound mailer with LISTSERV then you can change
MaxRecipientsPerMessageOut=15 on a per-domain basis while leaving MAXBSMTP=1000
in LISTSERV.

>Anyway, thought I would pass on the information in case any other list
>owners have been trying to track down why WebTV users aren't receiving their
>list mail.

Yahoo.com, and hotmail.com both do a variation of this kind of 'throttling'.
Sadly it is more and more common and SysAdmins need to be aware of the practice
and investigate it as part of any mail delivery problem.

Remember, receipt of email is entirely voluntary on the receiver's part.  They
can choose to receive all, some, or none of any email you may be sending.